Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rock Canyon: Hiking in the Snow

     Sometimes I hear people say they dislike or hate the cold. I often reply with the question, "Do you really hate the cold weather, or do you just hate being cold?" I don't like the cold either when my toes, fingers, or ears are frozen. Just put on a couple extra layers. What I'm getting at is we shouldn't let the cold stop us from enjoying the outdoors - most of the time. This afternoon, while it was 25 degrees, I hiked Rock Canyon with my cousin and really enjoyed it a lot (I wasn't cold). As you can see, I enjoyed taking pictures along the way too.
Click to enlarge photos.
      It's hard to tell from these pictures but I was surprised to see the amount of foot traffic there was on the trail. A lot of people have gone on this hike since the last snow.


      The rock on the picture above looks pretty cool, but it's even more awesome when you're there.

Go straight at the turn in the road:
     I took the picture below while standing in the intersection on the Northeast corner of the LDS Provo Temple. The street you can see is E 2300 North, or North Temple Dr. The trail head is just a few hundred yards from where I'm standing. Just keep going straight and you'll be on the path.
     Please feel free to comment or ask any questions you may have.

5 comments:

  1. I am so going to do this! I have yet to do it in the snow - did you use snowshoes or was it kosher in just boots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true. I love the snow.....but mostly when I'm not in it cause it makes me pretty cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love snow activities, but it is hard to get out into it because you know you'll end up cold in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeffrey, I actually just used my hiking boots and my feet were dry and warm the whole time. And I know it's cold outside but you CAN stay warm. Just a couple tips:
    1) If you wear gloves, a beanie or scarf, and good shoes it will make a huge difference.
    2) Layers. Bigger coats don't really help as much as extra layers.

    I was hiking for over an hour and a half and the only thing that was cold at the end of the hike was my chin and cheeks :) In fact, I even took off my outer coat. Thanks for your comments guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Spot Gary! Rock Canyon is a perfect spot for all kinds of nature themed activities. I remember going rock climbing there in the summer. I've never seen it covered in snow though and its simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete