Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Nature Effect

I was thinking about how much I really like doing things outdoors the other day and I wondered if there were studies on the way nature affects us. It turns out that there's actually a lot out there, some of it being very interesting. Here are some quotes from just a couple of articles that I found. I'll probably post again about this as there seemed to be a lot about nature actually improving health, which really intrigues me. Anyway, I've always felt that being outdoors and in nature has lifted my mood and given me energy. It's neat to see that it's actually pretty universal...

The Moral Call of the Wild
A study suggests that spending time in nature changes our values
P. Wesley Schultz, Scientific American

“In a series of studies, Netta Weinstein, Andrew Przybylski, and Richard Ryan, University of Rochester, show that exposure to nature can affect our priorities and alter what we think is important in life. In short, we become less self-focused and more other-focused. Our value priorities shift from personal gain, to a broader focus on community and connection with others.”

“Psychological research has shown that natural experiences help to reduce stress, improve mood, and promote an overall increase in physical and psychological well-being”

P. Wesley Schultz (2009, December 1). The Moral Call of the Wild. Scientific American

Science Daily, June 2010. Journal of Environmental Psychology

"Often when we feel depleted we reach for a cup of coffee, but research suggests a better way to get energized is to connect with nature" – Richard Ryan, lead author and a professor of psychology at the University of Rochester

“Studies suggest that the very presence of nature helps to ward off feelings of exhaustion and that 90 percent of people report increased energy when placed in outdoor activities”


University of Rochester (2010, June 4). Spending time in nature makes people feel more alive, study shows. ScienceDaily. 

4 comments:

  1. This post is great food for thought. I've read of various types of contact with nature being helpful. This adds to what I know. Hopefully, it will add to what I do!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always felt this was true but it's neat to see some research done. This is something I will have to share with my roommates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a perfect reason that homework should be done outside in the sunshine....too bad we just hit winter. I'll have to revisit this idea in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this post. Especially the part about how it suggest to seeking other energizers besides coffee when needing more energy. It just shows how the word of wisdom is back up by scientific reasoning

    ReplyDelete