Monday, September 27, 2010

Welcome to my Blog

A little about me and my intentions with this Blog:

My name is Gary Sorenson. I live in Provo, Utah and am a student at Brigham Young University. When I was young, most of my entertainment was outdoors: riding bikes, playing soccer, hide and seek, etc. I also went camping on a fairly regular basis. I admit that although I don't know anyone who specifically doesn't enjoy nature, I still like to consider myself to be someone who enjoys nature and the outdoors.

How is it that you've come across this blog anyway? I've never heard anyone say, "Gee, I sure wish I've wasted an extra purposeless hour browsing the internet today." ...Or spent more time piddling around on YouTube, watching tv shows, etc. Whatever it is, there are times in our week that we waste wondering where the time has gone. I figure, if you need a break, why not plan on relaxing somewhere that you can really enjoy - outdoors. In my blog I'm going to explore cool picnic locations in and near Provo and on BYU campus.

Whether you are a teenager, college student, parent of several kids, or have already seen your children off to start their own families, you can appreciate a picnic or a barbecue with your friends or sweetheart.

Live oak (panorama)
By Doophy
Just about every chance I get, I show off my favorite tree. This is a great live oak tree. They are by far the most majestic trees I've ever seen. If anybody knows of any other really cool tree, you should let me know. As weird as it may sound, I'm a huge fan of trees. The trees in these pictures, as big as they are, are at least several hundred years old. Don't get me wrong, I'm no botanist or geologist,  I just like the look of them. And if there was a park around here that had a tree like this, I'd definitely consider it a great place for a walk, picnic, or date. 

Photos by "w"

At the bottom of the picture on the right, just right of center, there is a bench. It shows just how big these trees can really be.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of psychological research has been done on the effects of being around nature or just spending time outdoors when you can just enjoy the view.

6 comments:

  1. These are really cool trees. Do you know where the pictures were taken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea for your blog. How are you choosing the locations you are going to "review"? One of my favorite places to go is Vivian Park up in Provo Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I am from a city of over 4 million people in a geographical size of SaltLake City. One thing I've noticed was that there are not many things to do here in this area. Also, if you can introduce not only the locations, but also some cool activities that we can do on those locations would be great~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marley: The top photo is from central Florida and the lower two are from New Orleans. I really should learn more about where they grow. I know there are a lot of great live oak trees all over the south. I'm actually from a town in California called Live Oak. Live oaks are basically just evergreen oak trees but I've never seen the massive 'great' live oaks in California.

    And thank you AnnaLee. I'll actually go check out Vivian park. I've been there a few times but I'm going to explore more there. I'm basically going to find parks in Provo and Orem that are unique. I'll probably post several spots on BYU campus and possibly some places in nearby canyons.

    This summer I actually went to a swimming spot in California that I've been to several times. This time I went a hundred yards down the river the opposite direction that I usually do. It was incredibly awesome.

    So, my point is... there are a ton of really cool places to picnic around here that people just don't know about. I plan to go there and take pictures and give directions to the coolest spots.

    And Dohyup, I'll be sure to find some good areas for other recreation as well as picnics. There are actually a lot or recreational outdoor things to do around here. I'll gather up a bunch of ideas and consolidate them on a single page with links on my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ARE really cool trees! I too am a lover of nature, trees especially b/c I've always been somewhat of a monkey ;) I'm interested to hear your insight into the world around us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am excited for your blog. Nature is a wonderful thing and I'd like to see what places you write about. The trees are awesome!

    ReplyDelete